People with FH may be able to avoid early onset of cardiovascular disease by reducing their LDL cholesterol levels.
It is important to start reducing LDL cholesterol as soon as possible as cardiovascular disease can be slowed, stopped or even reversed.
This can be done by following a healthy lifestyle along with taking medication.
There is no cure for FH so life-long treatment is required.
TREATMENT – LIFESTYLE
A healthy lifestyle includes:
- eating a healthy diet (low in saturated and trans fat)
- not smoking
- doing regular physical activity
- staying at a healthy weight
- avoiding alcohol or enjoying in moderation
- maintaining social and emotional health
as well as
- taking your medications as prescribed
The advice in this website does not replace advice from your GP or healthcare provider.