Skip to content
- Approximately 8,000 children and adolescents affected in Australia.
- Children suspected of having FH who have documented elevated LDL cholesterol measurements >3.5mmol/L on 2 occasions within 4 months need to be referred for specialist assessment.
- Children with proven FH must receive advice on lifestyle modification (fat-modified heart healthy diet, regular exercise, remain a non-smoker) and statin therapy should be considered at age 8-10 years and preferably before the age of 18 years if LDL cholesterol is >3.5mmol/L.
- LDL cholesterol targets need not be as intensive as for adults – aim for LDL cholesterol <3.5 mmol/L.
- Adolescent girls require pre-pregnancy counselling and appropriate contraception advice before starting statin therapy. See Women and FH